Saturday, April 19, 2014

A Quick Comment on the Gemmell Award Shortlists, and One of the Nominees. Sort of…

This post is a bit of a break from the norm for me. I’m also not really sure what it’s meant to do. It’s a bit waffley, for which I apologise only slightly, and in not entirely a heartfelt manner. Fiction awards mean very little to me, being neither author, editor, publisher, nor agent. (At least, not yet…) This means I have never (to my recollection) written a post of any worth/note about shortlists or winners.

Brett-DaylightWarUKAward lists tend to pass me by without comment or thought. Invariably, this is because there aren’t any books featured that I’ve read – or, if there is, it is one that didn’t leave much of an impression one way or another. This year has been a bit different, however. For example, Kameron Hurley’s God’s War has been cropping up on a few shortlists, and it’s a book I rather enjoyed. So that made a nice change.

The shortlists for the Gemmell Awards were announced today at Eastercon. In a real break from the norm, the shortlist for the Legend Award (best fantasy) features not only five authors I have read, but also a book I feel particularly strongly about. So I thought I’d write a quick blog post about it. The book in question is Peter V. Brett’s The Daylight War, the third in his Demon Cycle series.

[Before I continue, let me just state that my focus on this book is not an indictment of the other authors nominated for the award. I just feel particularly strongly about this one. The other Legend nominees – Mark Lawrence, Scott Lynch, Adrian Tchaikovsky, and Brandon Sanderson – are great authors, too, whose works I have enjoyed very much. I just haven’t read their nominated novels.]

I’ve been experiencing a phase of fantasy disenchantment, lately. In fact, looking back over the past year or so, I’ve read far less (epic) fantasy than I would have expected. I have picked up and discarded more fantasy novels than I usually do, too. I just can’t get into anything, nor can I rustle up the enthusiasm to sit through hefty tomes.

Brett-DaylightWarUSThere is one clear exception to that, though, and that’s Brett’s series. Every time I think about reading a fantasy novel, I find myself wistfully wishing that the next novel in the Demon Cycle was already available. This is because there are very few authors who do it better. That’s not to say other fantasists writing today aren’t good, or are lacking in talent – far from it. But, really, I think the only epic fantasy series I would happily drop everything to read the next book in, is the Demon Cycle. Everything about the novels just works for me – the story, prose, characters… everything. I don’t think, across the three novels published so far, I’ve come across anything that gave me pause. I read the first, The Painted Man, in three sittings – the final sitting a 300-page marathon, which I finished at 4am. I read the second and third novels back-to-back (something I rarely do), eschewing everything else – true, I was unemployed at the time, and had little else to do; but nevertheless, all I wanted to do was read the books.

I haven’t experienced that level of Reading Insistence since I read Scott Lynch’s The Lies of Locke Lamora – the book that got me back into reading fantasy in the first place (as I think I’ve mentioned ad infinitum on the blog). In the case of Lynch’s series, I went straight out and bought Red Seas Under Red Skies when I was only two-thirds of the way through the first book – I even didn’t mind that it was the (frankly ghastly) shiny red-covered edition. Since then, and given the understandable delay before the third book came out, I have been almost afraid to go back and re-read the series to catch up.

Oh actually, that’s not entirely true – I was also incredibly impatient about getting hold of Brent Weeks’s Night Angel Trilogy. I must have pestered the Orbit publicist to the point of irritation, requesting the final two books… I was also really late to Abercrombie’s First Law trilogy, and I do consider Before They Are Hanged to be one of my favourite novels.

Regardless, the point I’m trying to make is that very few epic fantasy novels have really grabbed hold of my imagination and attention. And, I think, none more so than Brett’s Demon Cycle.

So, to bring this ramble back around to the topic at hand, I really hope The Daylight War wins the Legend Award.

***

The David Gemmell Awards ceremony will take place at London's Magic Circle on June 13th, 2014.

***

Peter V. Brett’s The Daylight War is published in the UK by Voyager, and in the US by Del Rey. The first two volumes in the series – The Painted Man (UK)/The Warded Man (US) and The Desert Spear are published by the same publishers. Two novellas have also been collected into a single volume: The Great Bazaar and Brayan’s Gold. If you haven’t read them yet, and have any interest in fantasy, then I could not recommend them enough. You won’t regret reading them, I’m sure.

My reviews of the books: The Painted Man, The Desert Spear, The Daylight War and The Great Bazaar and Brayan’s Gold.

***

Regarding the Other Shortlists…

For the Morning Star category (best debut), I really enjoyed Brian McClellan’s Promise of Blood – it is also the only novel on the shortlist I’ve read.

In the Ravenheart category (best artwork), I actually like them all, and quite a lot. But I don’t understand why any of the covers for Elizabeth Bear’s Eternal Sky fantasy trilogy didn’t make it onto the final list… (I haven’t read any of the novels, but I want to, and those covers are frankly stunning.)

8 comments:

  1. .....I have been meaning to read the "Demon Cycle" for a long time, I think I should do it soon after reading your post.....btw, I am not particularly a fan of Brent Weeks' due to a few things being too predictable (and kinda cheesy) for me in the first book I do love Joe Abercrombie, that guy has a talent with creating characters.....
    .....may I ask how you feel about the Malazan books?.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You must read it!
      re: Night Angel - that's fair enough. It really worked for me. I was still pretty new to epic fantasy, so while it was pretty... I don't know, "standard" sounds pejorative, which I don't want to be... There were some surprises for me that I really liked, but the Fantasy Familiar was also welcome and done very well, I thought. It was a blast to read, which is one of the most important things, for me.

      re: Malazan - nope. That's a series I've never read. Yet. I'd certainly like to, but I just haven't had the chance, yet. Same goes for George RR Martin's ASoIaF. Nor have I read Wheel of Time...
      So many series, not enough time! An embarrassment of riches for any SFF fan, there's really something out there for everyone. But, I also like that there is a feeling that not everything has to be for everyone

      Delete
    2. .....I think you should check out "Malazan" books, I have read the first one and it was a very enjoyable read and kinda self-contained too, ASoIaF is as good as people say it is mostly (but the 4th book was a quite boring though) but who knows when GRRM will finish it so you might wanna wait a bit on starting those if you don't wanna be as frustrated as I am, lol.....I might be in the minority, but "Wheel of Time" is a series which I am not really a fan of, I dropped the series about halfway through the 3rd book, it was just too slow and the female characters were too one dimensional, may be it gets better later on, who knows.....

      Delete
    3. I'm always wary of massive, 10-book series, I must admit... The time commitment is considerable, and either I missed the beginning, which means there's a lot to catch up on, or there will be years between volumes, which means I forget what's happened... I'm a difficult reader. ;)

      Delete
  2. War Master's Gate by Adrian Tchaikovsky would be my pick. The Daylight War is in my view the weakest of the Demon Cycle novels. For me, the ending was a cop-out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, sadly, so far behind on Adrian's series. I have them all, but for some reason I just haven't got around to reading them.

      Sorry to hear that about Daylight War. I loved the ending - frustrating cliffhanger that it was. I'm excited to see how book four starts.

      Delete
  3. I can understand why you are behind on the series. The Apt series is basically 2 wars between the Lowlands and the Wasp Empire spread over a period of about 10 years. Add to that is the world where there are countless human/animal hybrids, and an uneasy magic/science coexistence. It is not an easy read but it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I loved the first book, thought it was brilliantly written - I just got around to it after the first four or five were published, and then got distracted by work, other shiny ARCs.

      Delete